Tall Poppies Reaching Students Program
The Tall Poppies Reaching Students Program engages the Young Tall Poppy Science Award winners in activities to promote interest, study and careers in science among school students, teachers and the broader community.
Activities include presentations and class activities by Tall Poppies at secondary and primary schools, video-conferences between Tall Poppies and high schools, science-themed seminars for students, workshops for teachers and ongoing activities with interested schools. Science education activities are also conducted for the broader community, including museum talks and public lectures.
- School visits vary in format and can include presentations and or class activities by one or more Tall Poppies at primary and high schools.
- Video-conferences entail Tall Poppies presenting to, and talking with, students from multiple schools (including remote and regional schools) at specified times via video-conference.
- Science-themed seminars usually adopt a specific theme (i.e. immunology, the brain, maths and mobile telecommunications) and involve presentations and activities by Tall Poppies and other scientific researchers. Numerous high schools are invited to bring students to these workshops, usually held in a central city or regional venue.
- Workshops for teachers of both primary and high school students vary in format, and involve Tall Poppies giving talks on specific topics relevant to the year levels of their students. These sometimes also include teacher development activities provided by state education departments.
- Ongoing activities with some schools are established after initial school visits and where resources are available.
- Activities for the broader community include museum talks, public lectures and other activities, usually held in conjunction with other relevant organisations.
- Feedback and Evaluation assist us to continually improve and expand the program to achieve even better outcomes for students and teachers. Download our Evaluation form here.
Nationally, we also partner with the Australian Science Teachers Association (ASTA) and their state constituents, which includes annual support for CONASTA
The outreach Program is currently operational in all states and territories but we are always looking for partners or outreach opportunities.
To participate, collaborate or seek our support, please contact your nearest state office or email director(at)aips.net.au